Celebrating Ten Years of Service Honoring the Memory of the Boys in Blue 1861- 1865
Our Purpose / Mission
The Taylor-Wilson Camp 10 is a heritage group. We are primarily interested in identifing and preserving the memory of the 'Boys in Blue" of the American Civil War. To accomplish this the Taylor-Wilson Camp seeks to identify the burial location of Union soldiers, who died as the result of the war and also those of soldiers who took up residence in the Lynchburg area following the war. Additionally the camp works to mark the significant sites of Union activity, such as the Lynchburg prisoner of war camp, which existed on what is now the site of E.C. Glass High School.
In additon to the items discussed above our camp works directly and in cooperation with other heritage groups and historic sites to preserve the history of our nation. Taylor-Wilson is dedicated to educating the public on the lasting legacy of the Civil War on the development of America today.
The Taylor Wilson Camp meets at the Depot Grill on the first Thursday of January, March, May, July, September, and November. Meetings are scheduled to begin at 6:30 pm for comradeship and dinner. A business meeting takes place following the meal. The Depot Grill is located at the foot of 9th St in the former Norfolk and Western freight house.
Taylor-Wilson 10 was established in May 2005 and received its charter from the National organization of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War in March of 2006.
Since its inception the Taylor-Wilson camp has been very active and conducted many major ceremonies / events
April 2007 - Placed a monument to mark the burial location of nine soldiers of the 91st Ohio killed during the Battle of Lynchburg in 1864
April 2007 - Provided an honor guard for rededication of a grave stone for Maj. Forrester Taylor, buried in nearby Campbell County, winner of the the Congressioanl Medal of Honor at the Battle of Chancellorsville
March 2008/2009 - Participated in clean-up of the Dixon family cemetery in Campbell County and located the graves of Adam and William Fulton, Union soldiers form Pennsylvania, who moved to Campbell County following the War
May 2008/2009/2010/2011 - Participated in Memorial Day actvities in Old City Cemetery and at Monument Terrace in Lynchburg
June 2009 - Placed a monument to the men of the 54th Pennsylvania Infantry who attacked a Confederate gun emplacement during the Battle of Lynchburg. In particular honoring the bravery of one soldier who won the Congressional Medal of Honor in that attack.
September 2010 - Marked the Grave of Pvt Bobson a USCT buried buried in Lynchburg, Virginia's Old City Cemetery.
December 2010/2011 - Participated in Wreaths Across America Ceremonies at Old City Cemeterey in Lynchburg
May 2011 - Held our first independent Memorial Day Ceremonies at the 54th PA monument on the grounds of Lynchburg College
December 2011 - Conducted a dedication ceremony for a Civil War Trails Marker, which honors the memory of the Union soldiers held prisoner in Lynchburg during the Civil War.
June 2014 - Dedicated two memorial tablets. One tablet dedicated to the memory of the 100 wounded union soldiers left behind at the Sandusky Barn following the Battle of Lynchburg and a second at Quaker Memorial Church honoring the men from West Virginia who were killed during the Battle of Lynchburg.
We welcome all who share in our goals to attend a meeting and join with us in the preservation of the history of our nation